P5, Hauz Khas Enclave New Delhi, India
Rates starting fromUSD 65
per night or lessCHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
Haveli Hauz Khas
When heritage aficionados and art lovers Teji and Neelu Randhawa took over the former Amarya Haveli in February of 2015, they immediately set about filling the mansion with their own personal touches. The end result is the newly relaunched Haveli Hauz Khas: a delightful bed & breakfast that doubles as a private gallery of sorts, with five individually-decorated rooms that celebrate India’s rich diversity.
Given Teji and Neelu’s long careers spent travelling across the country with the Indian Administration, it’s no surprise that the house is decorated with an astonishing treasure trove of curios, traditional hand-woven textiles and artworks. During the cooler months, the rooftop terrace is an ideal place to enjoy an evening drink, and if hunger strikes, delicious home-cooked Indian food can be served in the dining room downstairs.
Of course, no trip to Delhi is complete without exploring the city’s colourful sights, and Haveli Hauz Khas enjoys a prime location in South Delhi close to the trendy Hauz Khas Village neighbourhood. A former medieval town, the area is now a magnet for the city’s trendsetters, foodies and shopaholics. There’s enough boutique shops, art galleries, hipster cafes, restaurants and historic ruins here to keep you busy for several days, but if you feel like venturing further afield, most of Delhi’s attractions are just a few stops away on the Metro. In short, if you’re looking for a relaxing home-away-from-home that’s steps away from one of the city’s most buzzed-about hotspots, look no further than this.
- Business centre
- Free WiFi
- Disabled access
- Safety deposit
- Multi-lingual staff
- Breakfast menu
- Rooftop terrace
- 24-hour security
- Bed & Breakfast
- No. of rooms:
- Swimming Pool:
- Disabled Access:
- Recommended for:
- Culture Vultures
- Sleeps in the City
- Budget Boutiques
What to Know
- Fantastic and safe location within walking distance to the Metro and upscale Hauz Khas Village.
- Teji and Neelu are cultured and attentive hosts who go out of their way to ensure your comfort, and will astound you with their wealth of knowledge about India.
- Guestrooms are spacious and airy, complete with private attached bathrooms.
- The peaceful rooftop terrace is the perfect place to unwind after a long day of exploring Delhi’s sights, while the garden enjoys direct access to a tranquil park for morning or evening walks.
KEEP IN MIND
- It is a bit far from here to Old Delhi and its sights (the Red Fort and the Jama Masjid).
- The mansion still felt a little new around the edges when we visited in mid-2015.
Each of the individually-decorated rooms at Haveli Hauz Khas boast their own unique theme based on India’s historic sites. On the ground floor, the Ajanta Room is adorned with Teji’s photographs of the famous Ajanta Caves in Maharashtra, while the bold-red Kama Room is inspired by the Khajuraho temple (a.k.a. the Temple of Love). Above this are three more rooms: the Banni Room, based on the renowned Banni handicraft region in Gujarat; the Hampi Room, which borrows from the majestic Hampi caves in Karnataka; and the Neem Room, which overlooks a tree-lined park. Within each room, cool marble floors and handwoven rugs stand out against bold splashes of colour on the walls, while the attached bathrooms feature roomy walk-in showers.
A family-run B&B within a heritage mansion, just steps away from Delhi’s trendiest boho district.
Food & Drink
Start your day off with your choice of an Indian or Continental breakfast, served in the dining room or the terrace and complete with fresh fruits and homemade yogurt. There’s no restaurant, although you can request for simple homecooked Indian dishes to be whipped up in the kitchen. However, the nearby Hauz Khas Village is home to some of Delhi’s best restaurants and bars: head to Gunpowder for fiery organic produce from Kerala and Tamil Nadu, with a gorgeous view of the lake. If laid-back cool is what you’re after, TLR – The Living Room Café & Kitchen serves up equal doses of coffee, cocktails and live music, while Hauz Khas Social enjoys a lively ambience overlooking the water.
- Explore historic Hauz Khas Village and the crumbling 14th century ruins of Sultan Firoz Shah Tughlaq’s tomb and madrasa with Delhi Heritage Walks.
- Visit some of Delhi’s most iconic monuments in the area, including the Qutub Minar, Sarfdarjung’s Tomb and Siri Fort as well as the sprawling Mehrauli Archaeological Park, containing over 100 significant historical monuments.
- Shop till you drop at nearby Hauz Khas Village, renowned for its bohemian designer boutiques. Our picks include Khazana India for delightfully kitchy Bollywood memorabilia and vintage knick-knacks; Lola’s World for Parisian-influenced clothing and accessories in fine cottons and silks and Cottage of Arts and Jewels for a treasure-trove of antique maps, textiles, prints and jewellery.
- Dive into the traditional markets at Lajpat Nagar, Dilli Haat, and Greater Kailash to find rosewood and sandalwood carvings, embellished camel hide footwear and all manner of precious gems, beads, brassware, metal crafts, silk and wool fabrics.
- Scope out the Hauz Khas Village’s local art scene, with prominent galleries that include Delhi Art Gallery, The Village Gallery, Maya Art and Apparel Studio, The Art View Gallery, The Rang Art Gallery and The Impulse Art.
- Take a walk through tranquil Deer Park, a pocket of native forest flanking the edge of the reservoir with enclosures of flighty spotted deer.
Your Booking Makes a Difference
For every booking that you make at Haveli Hauz Khas, Indistay will donate 1% of profits to the Friends of the National Parks Foundation to help replant tropical rainforests in Borneo.Learn More
Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) serves domestic and international flights to New Delhi from cities around the world.
FROM THE AIRPORT
Haveli Hauz Khas is conveniently located a short 20 minute drive from the airport. Your hosts can arrange for an airport pick-up for an additional fee (see Policies) -- please note this in your special requests at the time of booking if this is required.
In The Area
Haveli Hauz Khas is located in a quiet and safe residential area in South Delhi, within walking distance to Hauz Khas Village – a former medieval town that was given a burst of new life in the mid-2000s when the city’s artists, expats and restaurateurs moved in. The Hauz Khas Village complex now enjoys a reputation as one of Delhi’s most trendy and upscale Bohemian neighbourhoods, filled with edgy art studios, antique shops, restaurants, cafés and designer boutiques; all overlooked by the historic ruins of Sultan Firoz Shah Tughlaq’s tomb and madrasa.
From Haveli Hauz Khas, getting to nearby Hauz Khas Village is just a 15 minutes’ walk or a short rickshaw ride. If you’re venturing further out, Hauz Khas Metro station on the yellow line is 12 minutes away on foot or a quick hop over on a rickshaw. Alternatively, your hosts will be glad to assist you with ordering a taxi.
Hauz Khas Village: 5 mins by car, 15 minutes on foot
Hauz Khas Metro Station (yellow line): 4 mins by car, 12 minutes on foot
Connaught Place (City Center): 18 mins by car, 40 mins by Metro
Chandni Chowk (Old Delhi): 31 mins by car, 45 mins by Metro
New Delhi station (Central Railway): 22 mins by car, 40 mins by Metro
Indira Gandhi International Airport: 16 mins by car, 40 mins by bus