R-500, New Rajinder NagarNew Delhi, India
Rates starting fromUSD 40
per night or lessCHECK RATES & AVAILABILITY
Master Bed & Breakfast
Complex, crowded and with its own unrelenting rhythm, Delhi isn’t always the easiest place for visitors to navigate. Thankfully, travellers to the city can find refuge in the attentive care of Avnish and Ushi Puri: two born-and-bred Delhiites who have dedicated the past twenty years to welcoming guests from around the world into their home and possess a warm knack for making you feel like a long-lost family friend.
Nestled in a tree-lined residential neighbourhood just 4 kilometres from the Old City, Master Bed & Breakfast is an oasis of calm amidst the frenetic energy of central Delhi. You’ll feel right at home in its three individually-decorated bedrooms, each comfortably furnished with convertible twin beds and equipped with attached bathrooms filled with handmade soaps and fragrant pot pourri. Outside, a plant-lined terrace invites you to spend long evenings in the twilight breeze, but if you feel like venturing out, Avnish can point you towards a number of city attractions just a short Metro ride away.
A well-rested night after a long day of sightseeing will leave you hungry for breakfast, and this doesn’t disappoint. At all other times of day, delicious home-cooked meals are served on request. Tuck into a mouth-watering selection of curries, breads and paneers as your hosts regale you with fascinating historic tales or insightful anecdotes of a life spent in Delhi. You’d be hard-pressed to find a hotel with this level of personal attention; or for that matter, two hosts with such an impressive knowledge of the city. And in case you were wondering, the name Master is an homage to the spiritual gurus whose philosophy of sharing continues to guide the owners. It’s a heartfelt continuation of an ancient Indian hospitality tradition that’s been passed down through the centuries; still alive and well in the hands of its current torchbearers.
- Bicycle rental
- Car rental
- Laundry & dry-cleaning
- Free WiFi
- Airport transfers
- Multi-lingual staff
- Breakfast menu
- Rooftop terrace
- Railway station transfer
- Smoking area
- Bed & Breakfast
- No. of rooms:
- Swimming Pool:
- Disabled Access:
- Recommended for:
- Culture Vultures
- Sleeps in the City
- Budget Boutiques
What to Know
- Owners Avnish and Ushi are delightful and attentive hosts as well as a repository of information about Delhi. We left feeling enlightened by their wealth of knowledge about the city’s history and with a deeper understanding of India as a whole.
- The welcoming and relaxed atmosphere is a true home away from home.
- The surrounding residential neighbourhood is safe and peaceful; a welcome reprieve after the chaos of Delhi’s tourist areas.
KEEP IN MIND
- There is no lobby; the dining room is the only common room.
- The room distribution on three floors is a bit awkward; access is in the rear and stairs are steep.
Each of the three bedrooms at Master Bed & Breakfast are comfortably furnished with king-size beds that can be converted into two twin beds. All boast private ensuite bathrooms filled with handmade soaps and fragrant pot pourri. On the lowest level, the Downstairs room is the smallest and quietest, located near the kitchen. Above this on the second floor, the Krishna room features a spacious balcony overlooking the street below. The Ganesh room on the top floor besides the rooftop terrace is the most private and enjoys the morning sun.
A cosy, family-run refuge from the frenzy of New Delhi, complete with homecooked food and guided walking tours.
Food & Drink
Served in bed, on the terrace or in the lounge room, the ala carte breakfast is generous, delicious and homemade. Choose from traditional Indian style (think piles of freshly-baked Indian-style breads, gravy and masala tea) or Continental, including a full English breakfast that’s guaranteed to provide enough fuel for a long day of sightseeing. Tea, coffee, filtered drinking water and fresh juices or lemonade are also available on demand.
Lunch & Dinner
On request, your hosts can prepare some mouth-watering home-cooked meals or a snack, which includes traditional Punjabi curries, stews and steamed vegetables as well as popular favourites like Chicken Tikka, Palak and Bada Paneer alongside other classic Northern Indian dishes; best enjoyed with a glass of cold beer or a selection of fresh juices and tea.
If dining out is more your style, Avnish and Ushi can recommend a list of nearby restaurants in the area to suit every taste or occasion.
- Relax in your room or in the living room below and enjoy the company of your delightfully entertaining hosts, Avnish and Ushi.
- Enjoy a game of cards and board games up on the outdoor terrace, or watch DVDs and browse books from the small library.
- If you feel like some exercise, there’s a swimming pool nearby that can be enjoyed for a small additional fee, or borrow a bicycle to explore the neighbourhood or the nearby Southern Ridge Forest.
- Discover Delhi on a guided walking tour with your host Avnish, an avid walker and history-buff. Possible itineraries include a nature walk in Lodhi Gardens, a history and foodie tour of Old Delhi, or any other special interests that you may have in mind.
- Go shopping at nearby Karol Bagh Market, one of the city’s oldest and most well-known shopping centres that still maintains a delightful old world appeal, with traditional crafts and tradesmen separated into distinct shopping streets. Don’t miss the Ghaffar Market, Arya Samaj Road and Ajmal Khan Road, as well as ‘Gold’ and ‘Silver Street’ for exquisite jewellery crafted by expert smiths.
- One of Delhi’s favourite hangout spots, Connaught Place down the road was built by the British in 1931 and today is packed with some of Delhi’s top boutique shops, tailors and restaurants.
- Pay a visit to the Ancient Hanuman temple, said to be one of only five temples built during the Mahabharata.
- Admire the golden domes and enormous langar kitchens of the Gurudwara Bangla Sahib Sikh Temple, providing free meals for up to 10,000 people every day since 1935.
- Wander the ruins of nearby Ferozshah Kotla Fort, built by Sultan Ferozshah Tughlaq in the 14th century and including palace rooms, mosques, step-wells and a polished obelisk dating back to the 3rd century.
- A tranquil park spread over 9 acres, the Lodhi Gardens includes some notable monuments, including Mohammed Shah's Tomb, the Tomb of Sikandar Lodi, Shisha Gumbad and Bara Gumbad.
Your Booking Makes a Difference
For every booking that you make at Master Bed & Breakfast New Delhi, Indistay will donate 1% of profits to the Friends of the National Parks Foundation to conserve tropical rainforests in Borneo.Learn More
New Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) is a world-class airport serving flights from nearly every major capital in Asia as well as Europe, the Middle East and the Americas, along with domestic flights to just about every large city in the subcontinent.
FROM THE AIRPORT
Pre-paid taxis are available at the airport for the half-hour drive downtown. As an alternative, Master’s Bed & Breakfast offers an airport and railway station pick-up service for a very reasonable fee, which we recommend taking to avoid dealing with taxi touts. Please note this in your special requests at the time of booking if this is required.
A more adventurous option is to take the Airport Express train and transfer to the regular Metro to Karol Bagh. Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book on Indistay.
In The Area
Master Bed & Breakfast is located in a safe and residential neighbourhood just 4 kilometres away from the centre of Delhi. The area is conveniently close to the New Delhi Airport Express Metro Station and Delhi’s main Railway Station, while the nearby Karol Bagh district and Connaught Place are a paradise for bargain-hunters and food-lovers alike. Most of central Delhi’s sights are 4 metro stops away or a short ride by auto-rickshaw, while the historic attractions of Old Delhi are 20 minutes away by car.
Metro (Karol Bagh station, blue line): 15 minutes on foot
City Center (Connaught Place): 10 minutes by Metro or car
Old City (Red Fort): 20 minutes by Metro or car
Airport: 30 minutes by car